The key aim of the project was to provide improved school and nursery provision and additional classrooms/leisure facilities for primary age children. This was a live school environment and therefore the ultimate project goal was to complete the project with minimal disruption to school facilities and curriculum. Health and Safety was a key driver on this project ensuring that all works were risk assessed and carried out in such a manner that all pupils, staff, parents and visitors remained safe at all times throughout the build process.
The existing school was decanted into temporary buildings on site for the full duration of the construction period leaving the main school building occupied. Access to part of the existing car park and pedestrian access through the existing nursery and school playground is the main access to the temporary school building and a shared site access.
Works comprise internal alterations and 3 no. extension to the existing primary school to provide:
- Additional classrooms
- Store Rooms
- New nursery accommodation, including quiet room, cosy corner and play areas
- Enlarged gym and dining facilities
- New mechanical and electrical installation
Engagement with both the local community and the school was an important element of successful delivery of this project. This included:
- Bancon representatives attending Parent Council Meeting
- Daily communication with the Head Teacher
- Introduction Newsletter issued to all pupils
- Community notice board updated regularly
- School ambassadors selected to tour site and provide the school with their own progress report