The project began as a simple regeneration idea for a community cinema and has developed, through market research and community consultation into a plan for a multi-dimensional facility which will act as an engine for social change in the community. Local volunteers stripped out the building to a shell prior to commencement of the conversion works. The playhouse will include an adaptable three screen cinema, education and exhibition spaces, retail space and café bar. This is a community focussed project ran by local volunteers, a plan for a multi-dimensional facility.
Scope of Works
The project will transform a derelict former swimming pool in the town centre of Montrose into a community hub for arts and education benefitting north Angus and lower Aberdeenshire.
The playhouse will include an adaptable three screen cinema, education and exhibition spaces, retail space and café bar.
- Remainder of strip out works i.e. asbestos ceiling tiles to pool hall; Ventilation Ducts in Ceiling; Diving Board Structure (substantial concrete and steel cantilevered structure); Services on Roof; Scrap Metal – (Copper, Steel etc); Basement Dig Out ready for a new concrete floor to be laid; Basement – two areas of brick concrete build ups that require removed or taken down to floor level;
- Builder Work – below ground drainage; concrete foundations; concrete floor slabs; solid concrete floor slab over existing pool; blockwork partitions; forming dormer openings in concrete roof for projector rooms, precast concrete stairs; forming new openings in existing walls/floors/roof; building up existing openings;
- Joiner work: all work to structural floors; chipboard flooring throughout and to new auditoria floor; cavity barriers; timber framing and OSB/plywood coverings to existing roof; new canopy roof & new canopy soffit; framing/insulation/plasterboard to existing openings; plasterbroard to internal wall linings; framing & cladding to external chimney; internal & external doors; new windows; staircases and all components/handrails; internal skirtings/door facings/door stops/windows sills;
- Structural Steel Work i.e. steel infill to the existing swimming pool;
- Mechanical and Heating Works
- Contractor Design element including BMS, ventilation; above ground drainage; hot & cold water supply; sanitary ware; gutters & downpipes;
- Contractor Design Electrical Work including collaboration with Arts Alliance Media to position sound and light and all other electrical equipment required for each cinema screen, fire, alarm and emergency lighting;
- Fixture and Fittings including all fixed seating, shelving, counters, units, toilet cubicles, vanity units etc; roofing, render, decoration and floor finishes.
The Playhouse will be a prominent, distinctive facility in Angus for social and cultural events which will enable audiences and participants to see, experience, learn and create in a safe and welcoming environment. With three adaptable cinema screens, two flexible activity rooms, a modern, comfortable café bar and a packed programme of events, workshops, classes and activities aimed at all ages and abilities.
Find out more about Montrose Playhouse Project: https://montroseplayhouse.co.uk/